A HISTORY WITH
From the start, Hotel Barkly’s heritage has been tied in with popular sport. Originally established as Hare and Hounds by Martin Fitzgerald in 1853, it took its name from hare coursing. It was the first St. Kilda hotel to depict a painting of this fashionable pastime.
AN ERA OF
DRAMA AND INTRIGUE
In December 1948, Licensee Laurie Walsh was granted permission to rename the venue the Prince Charles Hotel in honour of the birth of the new Prince of Wales. It was the first venue in Australia to be granted this name change.
A ST. KILDA
In its most recent past, Hotel Barkly had another name change to become the St. Kilda Inn. Locals and visitors to the neighborhood would flock to enjoy the live music scene it created.